Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Monday, January 26, 2009

Animal Actors



T'is the season for award shows. We've already been through the Golden Globes and the Critics Choice Awards. Last night I watched the Screen Actors Guild show. And Academy Awards nominees were recently announced. All the celebrity buzz got me to thinking about animal actors. Turns out they have their own awards, called the PATSY (Picture Animal Top Star of the Year) Awards. Despite the unfortunate term, I was glad to see that Hollywood honored its animal actors, too. Don't set your TIVO yet because it appears the awards aren't scheduled for anytime soon. Guess those who produce award shows for people don't want to be upstaged. After all, you know what actors say about working with children or animals!

I decided to make a mental listing of my favorite animal actors. Animal Planet website has its own choices and while some of mine appeared on their list, others did not. If you'd like to see how your picks measure up to theirs, check out:
http://animal.discovery.com/convergence/screeningroom/animal-actors/animal-actors.html

Now there's some real winners!

3 comments:

The Word Place said...

Oh, Morris the Cat and Old Yeller are my picks! What fun that they have their own awards! (A giant edible doggie/cat/horse treat?)

Anonymous said...

The first animals I remember from TV are Champion the Wonder Horse and the dog who I think was called Rebel. My big brother and I were most annoyed with our mother who refused to let us name the puppy she had bought us, Rebel:)

Leona said...

I always loved animal shows, and Black beauty was one of my favorites. I also enjoyed My Friend, Flicka. Not one animal really stands out, but growing up horses and wild animal stories stood out! Morris was my favorite cat, though! :)