Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Dollar for Your Tweets



Mubwindi, a gorilla infant available for sponsorship

Ever heard of tweeting gorillas?

I just read about a new fundraising initiative for the endangered gorillas of Africa. Uganda's Wildlife Authority is using social networking media to help fund preservation efforts for the gorillas of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.

It is estimated that only about 720 of these majestic gorillas are left in the wild.
For a minimum donation of $1 per year, you can choose and sponsor one of the animals. The gorilla then becomes your "friend" through Twitter or Facebook. You will receive regular updates that track the animal's movements, and be able to view videos and photos of your furry "friend".

You can get information about the effort and find a gorilla to sponsor at the nonprofit's website, Friend A Gorilla.

It appears that people are fascinated with the concept of helping endangered animals while getting up close and personal (in a virtual way, of course) with their chosen gorilla.

This is a clever use of the ever growing popular social websites, and I can see other organizations launching a similar effort. Makes me feel sort of inadequate, though. Gorillas can tweet and I can't? That certainly underscores my technical inadequacies.

Anyway, I'm considering signing up.

Because who wouldn't want to have a gorilla for a friend?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are lots of ingenious ways to help good causes, including animal causes, using the Internet. I have a whole section of my favourites bookmarked called, Daily Clicks and merely by clicking on each of these sites once a day, I make a donation. It doesn't even cost me anything. I especially love the FreeRice site, where you fill a virtual bowl with grains of rice, but you have to answer questions on different topics to earn the rice. I look forward to my daily quiz and I'm brushing up my knowledge at the same time.

The gorilla site you mention sounds like a very worthwhile cause.

The Word Place said...

How sad that there are so few gorillas left! But this seems an excellent way to help preserve the species!