Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Pupdate



Nothing like taking a healthy happy dog to a vet appointment for a "minor" procedure that turns into days of illness, worry, and, yes, even more vet bills.

Indy did not perk up after his surgery. No appetite. Lethargic to the point of being almost dazed. Could this be the result of the anesthesia or the post-op pain med he was given, Rimadyl? I looked up the medication and read so many horror stories about it that I threw the stuff straight into the trash can after 3 doses. Then the diahhrea started.

With auto-immune disorders in his history, sometimes Indy can be thrown into a spell of hemmoragic gastroenteritis. Fearing that's where we were heading, I took him to his regular vet who placed him on antibiotic, a stomach acid reducer, and a pill to help restore natural flora to his intestinal tract. Then the vomiting started and sure enough, so did the bloody diahhrea.

We were on Day 3 of food refusal, and gastrointestinal upset, so next day we returned to the vet. I couldn't get any of the medications down him because no treat on earth tempted him to allow anything except water into his mouth. The vet did blood work which was within normal range, so she gave him sub-cutaneous fluid, an anti-nausea shot, and several days of anti-nausea pills.

It's been a slow process, but Indy has finally regained his appetite. So far, no more vomiting or diahhrea. I'm keeping finger crossed that we're finally on the mend.

No one can be certain whether anesthesia, stress, or medications caused this reaction, but with an auto-immune-type dog like Indy, the vet agrees we won't do Rimadyl again. I realize it's a medication that has helped a lot of arthritic dogs, but my advice is...read about it before using and be very, very careful!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Indy! I am so sorry he has had such a bad time after his surgery. I will certainly bear in mind what you say about Rimadyl!

Ann Summerville said...

You were wise to check on the affects of the medications. So many of them treat one ailment but bring on a slew of others. I hope he is on the mend now. We would be lost without out pets wouldn't we?
Ann

Unknown said...

Of course, use your instincts humans. Don't just rely on our vets. They have many patients, you only have us :) The opinions on Rimadyl don't matter as much as your care when we're sick. Some of us do well on it, some use it short term, some get sick on it. Way to use your instinct in this case. Get well soon, Indy!
Twink!

The Word Place said...

Medicines can be both a blessing and a bane! Thank goodness for your watchful assessment and care--poor little Indy! What an ordeal! Sending him extra pats and ear scratches and hoping he's back to chasing Bogey soon!

Tammy said...

What a horrendous few days you've all had! So glad he's feeling better! Sending healing thoughts Indy's way, and thanks for the warning about Rimadyl. I am considering it for my arthritic dog, but that's a good reminder to do some homework and be on the lookout.

Life With Dogs said...

We had a tough run in with Rimadyl about ten years ago. Seems like one of those drugs with little gray area - dogs seem to tolerate it well or react horribly...

Sketching with Dogs said...

That's awful, I'm glad Indy has regained his appetite and is feeling a little better now.
It sounds like you and your vet will have to figure out which medicines Indy can tolerate.
Lynne xx

BECKY said...

Hi Pat. So sorry to hear about your and Indy's ordeal. Very scarey, I know! I do have a "positive" statement about Rimadyl...and as Life With Dogs said, some pets do fine with it, and others don't.(That's how it is with people medicine, too, of course, so it really is hard to know what to do. If we all believed everything the small print says about the meds advertised continuously on TV, we'd be a drug-free country!) Anyway...My dog, Tiger, has been on Rimadyl for a couple of years now and does fabulously on it. Most days, she's like a puppy again! My vet keeps a close eye on her and I trust her. I'm sorry this is turning into such a long comment, but I also want to mention, too, how it's obviously crucial that we know our pets and their "normal" reactions to medications. I had a horrible incident just about a week ago, when the other vet in the practice prescribed the wrong dose for something else...(it was my vet's day off). After 45 minutes, when it took effect on Tiger, I immediately knew something was very wrong..etc.etc..so yes, we all know our own pets and have to look out for them!...Again, my apology for my ramblings....!

Bandit's Pack said...

Oh, dear. What a rough run of events for poor Indy. I'm glad to hear he's regained his appetite and the GI upset symptoms are gone. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Indy.

Baby Rocket Dog and Hootie said...

How's Indy doing now?? We hope he is finally getting to rest a little & no longer "running" at both ends.
Smooches from pooches,
BabyRD and Hootie

Ryker said...

How is Indy doing now? We went and are going through a similar thing with Miss Cleo the cat.
~Ryker