Legend has it that Ernest Hemingway responded to a challenge to create a story in less than 10 words this way:
"For sale. Baby shoes. Never worn."
For only six little words, that's a pretty powerful story.
I penned a rather melancholy six word story now published in "Six Word Memoirs on Love and Heartbreak by Writers Famous & Obscure". The volume is filled with little gems, all perfect for a quick read.
Now it's your turn. I've read your work and know how many awesome writers there are in the blogmosphere. So Critter Alley is sponsoring a six word story contest. Be sure and read the rules!
Contest entries will be accepted from June 28-July 12, 2010
- One entry per person, so send your best work
- Entry must contain 6 words; no more, no less
- Story topic of your choice, but no porn or gore--we're a family friendly site!
- Enter on any of the above dates, but enter as a comment on this Contest Announcement post
- Please include a way for me to contact you in case you're the winner!
- No entry fee
- Judge's decision is final
- Winner will be announced by July 20, 2010
The winning entry will be original, creative, and tell us a story in only six words. We'll publish it on Critter Alley along with a link to the winning author's website, if applicable.
The prize for our winner is (drumroll, please): $25 cold hard cash! That's over $4 a word! Does another publication pay so well? I think not.
So roll up your sleeves and get typing! We can't wait to read your six word story!