Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Real Tonic













On Monday I attended a conference. Not so fascinating a fact in and of itself. But what I'd like to mention is the keynote speaker's topic.

Humor.

I've long been a believer that laughter is healing, a true stress reliever.  Turns out that studies prove it.  Even forced laughter has the ability to raise endorphins, lower blood pressure, calm the spirit, and soothe the soul. Have you noticed how people gravitate toward others who make them laugh?  It's because laughter makes them feel good.  And it's certainly a much cheaper remedy than fine meals, shopping sprees, or a few too many glass-tipping toasts.

It's easy to include laughter in your day. Choose movies and television shows that include a liberal helping of humor. Read stories that weave in funny scenes. Find something that tickles you in everyday situations. Our spouses, children, pets, friends, and those we may only know for a millisecond, can be a source of endless aggravation or frequent I Love Lucy-style giggles. Rather than fume over this election year's bombardment of negative nasty advertisements, or get frazzled by the daily traffic jam, I'm planning to laugh my way through them. Because isn't life so much more enjoyable that way?

So, everyone, altogether now...laugh.  No, not a little grin. Throw back your head and give me a loud, from the belly, true HA-HA-HA-HA! That's right...I think you've got it!  Enjoy that delicious Health Tonic.

Ahhhhh.  Now tell me the truth.  Don't you feel so much better?

  

17 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I'm laughing as I listen to Merdie snore;
See Harley in the middle of the bed;
And see Khyra in her normal spot by the closet -

Life is good and we'll probably laugh more on Friday!

Happy Weekend!

Sketching with Dogs said...

I agree with you, as long as you can laugh life can't be too bad.
Hubby has been in remission for 2 years now but during his awful treatment we used to laugh our heads off at the most inappropriate things, I think the nursing staff thought we were both insane but it was a great way of relieving the tension.

Terri Tiffany said...

Yes it does! I decided to try to add in very small touches of humor in my MS and it makes me like the story so much more:)

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Laughter is medicine to us all!

Kristine said...

It's a good reminder for sure, especially after a trying week. Thanks and happy Friday!

Lynn said...

You are so right - laughter is the best medicine. Have you ever noticed how time and everything around you does not matter at all when you are laughing hysterically? Nothing else matter but the pure joy of feeling good from laughing. I don't even mind peeing my pants if I'm laughing!

Cattis said...

so true. It´s funny how much hardship one can handel if there is a smile now and then too.
Cattis

Linda O'Connell said...

Laughter is an elixir, you are so right. I almost peed my pants reading Lynn's response.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I agree 100%. Laughter is the biggest stress reliever out there. Laughing at oneself is a good ability to have...for me I can say I offer myself plenty of amusement with some of the goofy things I do. If I didn't laugh, I'd go nuts!

I think one of the reasons I love having pets in my life is the laughter they bring, all the time, every day.

Ann Summerville said...

What a great post. We all need a reminder to laugh and blow those stress filled days out of the window.
Ann

Tammy said...

Wonderful! I once attended Laughter Yoga. Supposedly a 20 minute session has the health benefits of an hour of exercise. It was a neat thing to experience, and most impressive of all, the instructor didn't charge us for the session. Amazing. http://laughteryoga101.com/

Needle Noses said...

A good sense of humour (I'm here in Australia and have had to change my spelling) and the ability to make me laugh were the most important traits, for me, for a husband. Let me laugh and make me laugh. That's all I ask.

Eileen said...

Sometimes I just do 1 minute of forced laughter in the mornings! Yes, it does make you feel better! :)

Ryker said...

With a house full of cats and one crazy Aussie one can't help but laugh!
~Sandy

The Homespun Loft said...

Hi- thanks for following me-- I am following you back-- great blog--

Buy WoW Mage said...

laughter really is the best medicine=D no matter what the situation is, a little laughter always lightens up the mood.

BECKY said...

I definitely agree!! And those of you that know me and are around me, even a little bit, know that I laugh a lot...and tend to honk and snort, too!