Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Brief Message About Spring




Despite the annoying fuzziness provided by my cheap telephoto lens, this is most definitely a robin seen in the trees of our backyard today.

I always thought these fellows went south during winter, and returned to be our first sign of spring. Either this bird is confused, my calendar is wrong, or the legend is incorrect.

A little research educated me. It appears that some robins do migrate. Others hang around. The difference is attributed to food sources rather than the need to keep warm. 

I learned that a robin's favorite winter food just happens to be berries (note where he's perched), and despite the heavy ice encrustation, he gobbled down several.

Bottom line: I'm sorry to report that spring is not arriving anytime soon. Seeing a robin is no more an indicator than what we get from Punxutawney Phil the groundhog. Or the local weatherman. Or any other oracle, for that matter.

Despite who (or what) we consult, spring is going to arrive when she decides to come.

And not one single minute before.

21 comments:

Canidae Pet Blog Editor said...

Smart robins don't hang around in cold climates no matter how much food there is! LOL. I've never seen one in the winter, but I really *really* do wish it foretold the coming of spring, cuz' I'm ready!

Elaine Pritchard said...

We love robins when they visit our garden.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a robin in the winter either.. hope it gets warm soon.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Oh Squirrels!!! Another bubble burst. SIGH

Sketching with Dogs said...

Your robin looks different to ours, maybe becuase he is so puffed up trying to keep warm.
Hurry up Spring!
Lynne x

Doris Sturm said...

Cute birdie photos! It's been feeling like Spring here lately - warm weather (70s and 80s) and blue skies with lots of sunshine...I'm not ready!

Donna Volkenannt said...

Hurry spring!
Donna V.
http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Well...technically Spring is March 21....sooooo if you go by what Phil says WHEN he sees his Shadow that is 6 more weeks of winter....

Supposedly since he didn't see his shadow Spring will be earlier but I think we are safe to assume it will be 6 weeks (at least)

Funny you posted that about the robins. They mentioned that on the news yesterday and I didn't know that some of them hung around either.

Tammy said...

Interesting you mentioned this, because it's the first year I've noticed robins hanging around this early. Sometimes I think the animals are the best oracles. Do they know something we don't, or am I engaging in some wishful thinking?!

Two French Bulldogs said...

YippEEEE, robins=spring
Benny & Lily

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

I remember seeing early robins, getting my hopes up that spring was almost here and having them buried under tons of snow in the next blizzard!

You "cheap" lens took a great picture!

BECKY said...

I've seen a robin lately, too! I think there is only one out here, and he flies between your house, Tammy's and mine! She sure looks like the fat one in your picture! I think she may be ready to have baby robins!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I always thought robins headed for the hills when winter struck, so you just taught me something! We see a lot of cardinals at this time of year, but nary a robin in sight. I'll watch for them now, though!

Cattis said...

They are so wonderful to see anyway. Spring won't be here until earliest late april so it's still a long wait.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mom luvs robins :) Winter may be cold but it certainly has its own beauty as well :D

Waggin at ya,
Roo

Lynn said...

How true about spring - she'll get here when she gets here. Love the pictures!

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Such sweet pictures; we are all hoping that Spring will get here soon... but we know we've got awhile!

Rudy's Raiser

Celia said...

I had a dream about a robin a few weeks ago. Perhaps it's a premonition that spring will be here sooner rather than later? :)

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

I'm so ready for it!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing that! I will take any sign of spring.

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

What a strange robin, very different to our UK ones! Well, maybe he is migratory and is just really alert to spring, lol. I hope so!
~lickies, Ludo