Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Monday, March 12, 2012

Surprise, Surprise!

Ever on the alert for harrowing happenings, surprise sightings, and other things out of the ordinary, Indy and Bogey take their place at Mom's embarrassingly spotted front door.
















Bogey, do you see what I see? It looks like a brain spill in our yard!















The troops alerted Mom who found no less than 28 of these lovelies sprouting in the warm sun. Hubby hurried out and carefully plucked them all. They are now stored in our refrigerator.

Hubby: These are false morels, and they're really, really good.

Me:  Are you sure? They look sort of creepy.

Hubby: I've had them before and you'll love them.

Me: I don't know about that.

Hubby: Seriously. They are good.

Me: What if they're poisonous?

Hubby: Don't be ridiculous. They're perfectly fine.

As a bonafide Doubting Thomasina, I go to the source of all wisdom, the internet. There are plenty of articles on these little gems, complete with warnings about the dire consequences of eating one of them. Up to and including (gulp) death.

Me: Get in here and look at this.

Hubby: Oh, those aren't the same kind of "false morels". Besides, I'm sure I've eaten these before.

Me: Before you cook up your feast, can we update your life insurance policy?

Hubby: Pfffft!

Note to self: Check policy to see if Hubby's life insurance excludes wilful consumption of "false morels".

****

P.S. Good sense finally prevailed. The mushrooms have moved from the refrigerator to the trash!

13 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

OMD OMD... Now I have HEARD of those thingys butt have never seen any. We have the REAL Morels here.. and they will be starting to come up in the woods.. SOON. The REAL Morels are delicious fur sure. We eat them by the skillets Full in the spring.. and even FREEZE some fur winter. They are good in scrambled eggs on a snowy winter morning.

I hope your False Morels are the RIGHT kind and that nobuddy gets sick.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I've never heard of this stuff! Looks like raw meat. Ugh. I'm with you, Pat. I wouldn't put one of those things in my mouth without being absolutely certain it was safe. I don't know. . .I'm a doubting Thomasina, too!

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

Looks like a Smurf's mushroom village if you ask me.

Bassetmomma said...

Eeeewwww! No I would not be eating those! Your right they look like brains! LOL!

Linda O'Connell said...

I wouldn't trust them. But I know people who spend big bucks for mushrooms. Watch out for the little leprechauns nearby.

Rubie and Poots (her Mum) said...

Mum hates mushrooms so she would run the lawnmower over those!! BOL!

Tail Wuggles, Rubie

BECKY said...

Pat, I've never heard of "false" morels! I know how it's a really big deal to some people to go hunting for what I guess are the "real" ones. Yuck!

Sketching with Dogs said...

LOL, those really do look like brains, so funny. I don't think I would like to eat them, hmmmm.
I have a spotty back door too - and kitchen window :)
Lynne x

Leigh said...

We've never seen those things - don't think we would risk eating them either :-( Hope they're the nice tasting safe ones - woofs and licks from Magic xx

The Furries of Whisppy said...

Those are so cute. But Mommy won't dare eat them...

Ann Summerville said...

Thank goodness for the internet . . .
Had a laugh out loud moment when reading your conversation.
Ann

Lynn said...

My uncle would be able to tell you about these as he goes mushroom hunting every spring. But it seems like hunting is the key word here because for these to just pop up seems like there wouldn't be much hunting involved! Unless an expert told me it was okay, they'd be in the trash!

Debbie said...

Sure glad your husband listened to reason!lol