Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Grooving with Dylan












Wednesday night we ventured to the Peabody Opera House to see none other than Bob Dylan in concert. Anticipating the event, my mind was filled with images of the 60's, peace signs, and plenty of groovy tunes. But when Dylan took the stage I realized one thing right away. Just like me, he's getting older. This brought my mind straight back to the present. It's 2013, and baby things have changed.

His voice has become quite gritty, probably through years of hard use and more than a few cigarettes. But when he sang, he owned each and every vocal. Dylan didn't play guitar, but blew on his faithful harmonica and plunked out a few melodies on the keyboard. I must admit that I didn't recognize most songs. He's transformed even his well known pieces through new rhythms and timing.

The concert may not have been the blast from the past that I expected, but that's okay. If Dylan can put aside the decades to keep doing what he loves, maybe the rest of us can, too.

The man is an icon and it's pretty darn groovy that I got the chance to see him.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

We agree the man is an icon. Glad you got to go. Have a fabulous Friday.
Best wishes Molly

Ann Summerville said...

I felt the same when I went to see Paul McCartney. We had all matured and I could see that rather than belting out songs to a group of screaming teenagers that he truly loved his music and entertaining an audience. Unfortunately the woman behind me (in her fifties) hadn't quite got that concept and screamed in my ear repeatedly . . . Note to self - wear earplugs.
Ann

Ryker said...

I too grew up listening to Bob Dylan. How wonderful you got to listen to him live, even though things had matured a bit ; )

Sherry said...

What an opportunity! Dylan may not have the vocal cords but he still has the style!

Linda O'Connell said...

No matter how old he and you are, you will always be in that time warp of youth...oh the memories.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Happy for you that you were able to attend and that you enjoyed yourself. I admit I have never personally been a fan of his singing, but I've never argued that he's a heckuva poet.