Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Take Me Out to the Ballgame











I don't feel Spring is truly here until I make my first visit to the ballpark. The aroma of hot dogs, popcorn, and peanuts (not to mention the gourmet items that now show up on every major league ballpark's menu), serve to drive home the notion that mild temperatures and outside fun have finally arrived.

Today I'm heading to my first game of the season and looking forward to soaking up the experience. St. Louis area peeps tend to be a tiny bit obsessed with the Cardinals. We dress up in Cardinals gear and head to the ballpark or to a sports bar or simply listen to the game on the radio.

I remember hearing Harry Carey and Jack Buck on KMOX announce the play-by-play. It's a treasured part of my early days.

"It might be, it could be...it IS...a home run! Hoooly Cow!" 

St. Louis Cardinals baseball makes me think of my dad listening to a tiny transistor radio while barbecuing pork steaks as Mom prepared potato salad and baked beans. We'd groan at every out and cheer every time the home team scored a run.

In Mom's final few years, when she couldn't do much else, she could watch the Cardinals on television. It gave her so much pleasure...especially when "her" team won.

I believe heaven has a special place for Redbird fans, so I'm sure Dad and Mom will be cheering along with me today. Maybe between the three of us we can bring home a winner.

10 comments:

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

What sweet memories to make your game even better.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I know you might hit me with a bat when I say this, but I'm not much for pro ball games. However, I hope you enjoy the 2015 season.

Two French Bulldogs said...

Mom loves those hot dogs. They are like 87 feets long
Lily & Edward

Lynn said...

I remember the same thing about my dad listening to the ballgame on the little transistor while bbqing. Sweet.

Sketching with Dogs said...

Glad you enjoyed your ball game so much, I hate sports of any kind, LOL.
Lynne x

Anonymous said...

You guys did it....they won.
Nice entry, Pat.
Peg and me

Tammy said...

You brought back some nice memories. What a great post.

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoyed the game, Pat. And yes! You brought home a win! We're headed to the game tonight. Hope we bring the same good luck. And since we're in a St. Louis sports frame of mind, I'll simple end this comment with a little Blues-speak, "Holy Jumpin'!"

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

I used to be a huge Braves fan, until the big strike right before the World Series. That was, uh, 20 years ago? Oh, man, was I ever mad. I thought they really raked fans over the coals. Looks like I can hold a grudge, because they lost me and I never came back. lol

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Hope you had a blast!