Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Paw Prints in Time

Indy sleeps a lot. His legs twitch and I wonder if he's dreaming of the days when he used to chase tennis balls and go for long walks around the lake. Now he stumbles when he walks and sometimes stands perfectly still in the middle of a room as though bewildered over just where he could be.

He turned 15 years old in March and I know our time together is growing short. Maybe I've been selfish letting him go on as long as I have, but every time I consider making The Call, he perks up and I see a trace of him from his puppy days.

Last weekend I bought some clay, worked it out nice and flat, and then pressed Indy's paw down into the surface. It wasn't the best impression ever made. Indy didn't much care for the process and I hate to overly annoy an old guy who wants nothing more than to nap in a warm sunny spot. Before baking the clay, I put a hole in the top of the piece so it can be hung as an ornament or in a window. 
















I figured as long as I had the clay, I might as well do an impression for Bogey, too. Capturing his print wasn't any more popular.
















Maybe I'll try again another day. Or maybe not. Who needs perfect?

I suppose my clay pieces are a lot like real life, filled with bumps, irregularities, and occasional wishes for a do-over. But there's something sweet about them, too. The clay is a reminder it doesn't matter what life throws at me. When I see the face of a child, bask in the beauty of a cloudless day, or hold on to the endless love and loyalty of a dear old friend, I get a rare privilege. That's when I understand, just a tiny bit, what it must be like to glimpse heaven. 

11 comments:

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

The pawprints look pawsome.

Saku said...

Those are sweet, I wish I'd done something like that with the kitties who came before. Someday, hopefully a long time from now, you'll have these as reminders of the special times you shared.

Two French Bulldogs said...

We have Benny's paw prints
Snorts,
Lily & Edward

Sketching with Dogs said...

What a great idea Pat. I wish I had thought of that when Bridge was alive. As long as he is enjoying life that is all that matters.
Lynne x

Sioux Roslawski said...

Hey--Sometimes I go into a room and just stand there, because I've completely forgotten why I'm there.

Could he and I form a support group?

(The ornaments are a wonderful idea.)

Ryker said...

Very sweet. I have a little chest with many pet tags and baby teeth from my beloved friends over the years.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

A wonderful idea, and a task you will never be sorry you performed.

Tammy said...

What a lovely post and a great idea. When Catsby passed, it was with the help of Lap of Love house call vet. She was wonderful in every way, and she left us with a lock of fur and an impression much like yours. I would have liked that impression so much more if it had been made during a more pleasant time. Both of your babies are lucky to have you. (P.S.- Just read Sioux's comment and am laughing so hard. I'll join, too.)

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Hey Pat - Forgot to mention you won an ARC. Need your address to send it to you, though. :)

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

You made me cry.... They are perfect!

Donna Volkenannt said...

I hope Bogey has many more days ahead.

The paw print is a sweet way to remember him, and the end of your post is lovely.