Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

My New Prescription

My mother always told me that time flies by faster than an eye blink. The older I get, the more I realize she was exactly right.

I've been caught up in a big project for which I have a short timeline. Back in 2011, I did a NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) project, and since my retirement in August I've been playing around with actually finishing it. Well, I was playing around. For the past month or so, I've been pushing hard to get it done. My first draft is now complete, timelines have been checked (its an historical novel--though not, I hope, an hysterical one) and now I'm polishing and layering. I've even found an editor who I think will be a perfect fit for me.

The bad news is nothing much else is being accomplished. I'm not writing essays or short stories. House projects have come to a halt. I can't remember the last time I turned on the vacuum cleaner.

Winston, however, refuses to be ignored. He barks incessantly until he gets the attention he wants, which is quite distracting when I'm trying to concentrate. So how do I entertain him? This puzzle is one of my many efforts, though it didn't take long for him to figure it out. Yep, he can now solve the puzzle in under a minute and gobble all the delicious hidden treats.
















On the bright side, his bandages are off and we have graduated from wearing the cone of shame or an inner-tube around the neck. However, his leg looks quite pitiful, and strongly resembles a chicken drumstick.
















The vet says I'm still supposed to keep him from running or jumping. When I whined about those instructions, he gave me a wonderful prescription.

Tranquilizers for Winston and a couple of stiff drinks for me.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Congratulations on your chicken-leg dog and your first draft. I'm sure it is NOT hysterical. Keep your writing nose to the grindstone and keep Winston working the puzzle... and have a stiff drink or two whenever you need it. ;)

Saku said...

Oh my, I love that prescription! Glad to see Winston has rid himself of the cone of shame and bandages. I suspect he's even more thrilled. What a smart puppy!

Good luck with the writing. I am always so impressed with creative writing. I have no such ability, though I can write up an analysis of a set of financial statements. Sometimes that seems like a bit of creative writing too.

Good luck with keeping Winston calm so you can concentrate!

Fireblossom said...

Rooting for both of you!

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Kudos to you for working on your book... So sorry poor Winston still has to take it easy!