Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Westminster 2010



Image courtesy American Kennel Club website


Last night I indulged myself in a guilty pleasure. I'm doing it again tonight and I can't wait.

No, I'm not researching a new romance novel. Instead the television is on while I sip hot chocolate and watch the show of shows...Westminster. It started Monday night and resumes the action tonight, where one dog will be chosen Best in Show.

There is something simply fascinating about watching gorgeous dogs groomed to the max prancing (and they do prance) around the ring. Though canines are all one species, it's amazing to see the variety of sizes, shapes, colors, and coats.

If you get a chance, check it out. You might figure out what blueblood ancestors make up your Heinz 57 pup.

"Look at that, Marge! I'm sure our Rover must be a Puli-Harrier-Afghan-Dalmatian mix!"

The Pedigree company is also running ads campaigning for shelter dogs that are sure to tug your heartstrings.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am planning a similar night for my family. They just don't know it yet. I'm using the recorder. I'm going to gather everyone in the living room and I'll ask M to make us all some hot milk. I can't wait!
Twink!

An English Shepherd said...

Sounds interesting :-)

Wizz

Tammy said...

Thanks for the reminder! And I'm so glad to hear they're promoting shelter dogs now!

Sketching with Dogs said...

It must be great to watch Westminster dog show. We have Crufts next month but the BBC don't televise it anymore in protest at all the bad faults they are deliberately breeding into dogs. I agree with them but I miss watching it for 3 nights seeing who will win and where the Chihuahuas will come.
Lynne

Life With Dogs said...

It's always a fun watch!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we Brits will not get the chance to see Crufts again this year.