Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Looking for Love?

Isn't it wonderful to come home early from work and get a few things done for a change? Today that's exactly what I thought until I opened the sliding door leading to our screened-in cedar porch. Bogey shot past me faster than a bullet. I lunged for him and missed. He leaped to a window sill. That's when I realized it.

We had company.

A squirrel had used the doggie door to make himself at home on the porch. Squirrel ran to one side of the porch followed by Bogey. Squirrel ran to the other side of the porch with Bogey nearly on his tail. I'm shrieking at Bogey trying to get him to stop because all I can picture is him catching Squirrel and getting bitten to pieces after which we'd spend the evening in the Vet Emergency Clinic being counseled on how the squirrel no doubt had rabies, and too bad we only had 10 days to live.

In my zeal to catch Bogey and prevent certain doom I realized I was between Squirrel and the door. Not a great place to be. Squirrel and Bogey raced past me again and then Squirrel catapulted himself high into the air and sailed (I could feel the breeze!) past my head and out the door. I grabbed Bogey before he could follow.

Anyone need a squirrel-hunting cat?

Once my heart-rate finally slowed down, I did an internet search on squirrels to find out if I should be concerned about our adventure. That's when I discovered some alarming news.

This is the time of year that squirrels mate.

No doubt Squirrel was scouting out a place to rendezvous with his lady friend. Romance is a wonderful thing, but there is no way my back porch is going to become Sin City for squirrel one-night stands.

I've always hated the smell of cigarette smoke.

11 comments:

Mary Horner said...

So glad everyone was OK! Funny story!

The Word Place said...

Just hang a sign on the door saying, "Due to regulations beyond our control, the squirrel-occupancy quota for this porch is 0."

Gee, Mom, I bet Bogey enjoyed the chase even if you didn't! Heh heh heh.

Linda O'Connell said...

Laughing out loud. I know it's not funny. A squirrel bolted off a ledge at school and whizzed past my head. I ran in screaming, "A squirrel almost ate my face." They think I'm crazy, but YOU understand.

Unknown said...

Yep it is that time of year. We can come over and join you in some squirrel hunting which of course is my favourite pastime. Pesky vermin. We have the urban foxes which howl all night this time of year as it is the mating season. They attack the local cats. Have a terrific squirrel free Thursday.
Best wishes Molly

Sketching with Dogs said...

Haha, great story Pat. I am glad it all ended well without you foaming at the mouth and Bogey making squirrel delight for his dinner.
Lynne x

Lynn said...

Funny story and I'm glad everyone ended up okay!

Ryker said...

Ha ha, they would have had a very interested cat and dog watching them cavorting about on your porch!

Unknown said...

And me thoughts yous was just celebrating Squirrel Appreciation day a little late!
Kisses
Nellie

Donna Volkenannt said...

What a funny story. The way you described the scene, I could visualize it perfectly.

Sherry said...

You go, Bogey! Why are people always trying to stop us from chasing squirrels? It's such fun!
Miro & Alanis

Tammy said...

Hee hee! Great story. Glad you saved Bogey and your porch from so many deadly sins!