Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Happy Fourth (or Fifth, or Sixth, or Seventh)











Image from House Call Vet Care.

I admit to perpetrating my share of critter craziness. Over the years I've bought hats, colorful outfits, and sunglasses for dogs. I've put jingle bells on cats. I've even photographed critters with a sign around their neck labeled with phrases like, "I pooped in Dad's shoes." But I've never dyed a dog red, white, and blue. Well, probably in this case dyed a dog red and blue. I assume this poor pup is usually white. We can only hope he didn't have to wait for his hair to grow out.

Fourth of July is nearly upon us again. Fireworks are blazing, blasting, and generally bloodcurdling just about every animal around, from pets to wildlife. Oh the joy of trying to get your dog to potty outside when the neighbors own a bigger arsenal than the United States did in World War II.

I thought my poor Indy boy had grown deaf enough not to care, but let me tell you, he cares. He really cares. So we're trying to have potty time when there's a lull in the action. Unfortunately we're having a lot more action than lull.

There's no one that enjoys a holiday more than me, but I must say I always look forward to July 5th (or 6th or 7th) so I don't feel like I need a helmet and combat boots every time I go outside. Alright, go ahead and give me some cheese with my Fourth of July whine.

So tell us what you think. On Fourth of July do you prefer action or lull? Whatever it is you want, we hope you get it...safely.

11 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Most definitely--the lull, please, and make it a long one. However, I doubt I will get my wish.

(Two of my dogs have storm phobia, and fireworks/firecrackers are just like thunder, from their perspective.)

Unknown said...

I can't believe the red, white, and blue pooch! Surely the dye washes out on the first bath. And I agree about the fireworks. It seems there are more now than ever in our neighborhood, and I worry that I won't have a house on the 5th (6th and 7th). Hope you have a good (and quiet!) Fourth, Pat.

Two French Bulldogs said...

It drives us crazy when people do this. Happy 4th
Lily & Edward

Linda O'Connell said...

I used to be terrified of fireworks as a child. I can only imagine the poor animals. Give me the lull. I am more concerned for the Zoo animals this year since the extravaganza will be in Forest Park.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

I can't imagine dying my dogs to celebrate anything!

We are Canadian and spend Canada Day relaxing most of the time. I have done parties and the big party in the capital, but it is always hot and I would rather relax!

Ryker said...

I hope they used an organic healthy dye...personally I would never do that to my dog. Ryker is not a fan of Fireworks. I will give him a dose of Rescue Remedy and we will snuggle tonight.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

When I was a kid I loved the fireworks, but I'm not enamored of them anymore. The noise scares my pups, especially my little black Lab mix. It's always a relief when the noise dies down.

Tammy said...

The people with those arsenals you so eloquently described can't possibly have animals or children. I'm hoping we'll all have peace by Monday night, maybe?

Lynn said...

I'm definitely for the lull! Hope your critters do okay with all the noise.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

My Macy was so scared! Someone on Facebook pointed out how hard this day is on combat veterans too. I really wish they would leave it to the pros... In my neighborhood, they continue to fire off rounds...usually at midnight, 2 am and 4 am...for weeks to come!

BECKY said...

Great post, Pat! That red/white/blue doggy would be cute, if he was a stuffed animal! Vern doesn't mind the fireworks...thank goodness!! Poor Tiger hated them, and thunder. She would just pace around. Nothing helped. She couldn't/wouldn't be soothed. I always felt so bad for her. I got meds one time from the vet (for storms) but by the time I knew one was coming and gave her the pill, the storm would be long gone before the meds kicked in! I much rather have quiet, too. And yeah....when did the 4th of July fireworks start going on...and on...and on? Hope you critters were okay through it all.