Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Tuesday Ladies League

Last year I joined a bowling team. It was the first time I'd bowled since high school. I told my teammates not to expect much. In fact, my main contribution so far has been my exceptionally high handicap.

However, I've discovered trying something a little new and different can pay off. We have a blast on our girls night out laughing, talking, and even enjoying a cocktail or two. I've met a lot of funny and terrific gals.

My season 2 of bowling started in August, and guess what? Last Tuesday I bowled the best game of my (admittedly limited) bowling career. Doubters see evidence below.

















Yes, it's true. I bowled a 158. Of course I followed that game by bowling a 108, but no matter. I got a taste of success. Sometimes if you keep plugging away, wonderful things can happen. Heck, I even got a story out of bowling. "The Tuesday Night Ladies League" appears in Chicken Soup for the Soul: Reboot Your Life (now available in bookstores and on Amazon). It tells how stepping out of my comfort zone and trying something new energized and inspired me.

This week bowling night brought another surprise bonus.
















A former bowling teammate brought her therapy dog (in training) to the bowling alley. His name is Woody, and he's quite the handsome fellow. He laid quietly on the floor while zillions of bowling balls rumbled down the alley before crashing into pins. What a good boy. I know he's going to make an awesome therapy dog.

Have you tried a new activity lately that made you feel great?

11 comments:

Fireblossom said...

He's so cute! (And I love bowling, though I haven't bowled in a long time.)

I wanted to let you know that Bosco passed away yesterday. I'm heartbroken, but there was no choice. He could no longer get up without help, nor walk more than a few steps once he was up. I shall miss him fiercely.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Pat--I read your bowling story--entertaining, as is all your pieces--and am impressed by your bowling score.

I myself bowl perfect games. Games that never vary, I'm THAT gifted. Games that are unbroken strings of...gutter balls.

I've dipped into zentangle in the last year or so (google it--I dare you) and I find it relaxing and a way to vent creatively.

Unknown said...

So glad you ventured to try something new and have enjoyed it , done well and fell energised. Way to go. We have not had time to try anything different, big sigh but for your onwards and upwards. Have a fabulous Friday.
Best wishes Molly.

Unknown said...

Pat, congratulations on your bowling success, and of course on your wonderful story in the Chicken Soup Reboot book. I loved it! And what a sweet little bonus on your bowling night -- Woody looks like he took everything in strike...er, stride!

Donna Volkenannt said...

Good for you, Pat. Not only did you try something new, you wrote a story about it that made it into Chicken Soup.

Linda O'Connell said...

Years ago I was the handicap on a woman's bowking tean. Had si much fun! I kniw what you mean.

Tammy said...

Congratulations on your score and your story! And thanks for the reminder that I need to try something new. It's been a while.

CreekHiker / HollysFolly said...

Daily when I hike!!! Being in the great outdoors always boosts my spirits! And making glass beads!!

Mary Horner said...

I joined a Tuesday night Ladies League for golf a few years ago, and I think about it the same way, I'm the worst one in the foursome, but we have a good time and it's fun to get outside!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

First, congratulations on your bowling score. I rarely top 100 when I give it a go. I can see how the girls' time would make it all worthwhile though!

Second, congrats on your CS pub!

Third, Woody is adorable. Thanks for sharing his cuteness with us. :)

Last, I recently wrote a mystery (short story). I've never written a mystery before so it was uncharted territory. Even if the story isn't picked up it will be okay, because I had fun writing it and now I've got the mystery bug!

Lynn said...

Congrats on the story and the bowling score. I was on a league a long time ago and ended up with the Women's Highest Score. Not sure how that happened. I can't bowl very well any more. Can't wait to read your story! My something new has been drawing. So much fun!