Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My Little Guy

Shortly after I received Indy's ashes, I pondered over what would be the right urn for him. I couldn't find anything locally and so I launched an internet search. There were many places to look, but how to choose? Then I discovered a company called Blue Ribbon Memorials. It had several reviews that reflected well on the company's customer service. I found a wooden urn on their site that I liked. But my decision was sealed when I saw the names of the owners...John and Eunice. My parents' names! I knew this would be the right company for me to use.

After placing the order, I had a question and sent it to them via email. The email included my phone number, and I'm not exaggerating when I say John, the company owner, called me within 15 minutes. I was very impressed with his prompt response and his kindness is talking to me about Indy. I would recommend them to anyone.

Here is the urn that is now sitting on the nightstand right next to my bed. The top has Indy's picture etched into a slice of black granite.
















The front has this plaque:
















I look at Indy's memorial and it reminds me of a lovely testament written by playwright Eugene O'Neill after the death of his beloved Dalmatian, Blemie. The title of the piece is "The Last Will and Testament of an Extremely Distinguished Dog". Here's a link to the entire piece, but I will quote only the final few lines:

"Whenever you visit my grave, say to yourselves with regret but also with happiness in your hearts at the remembrance of my long happy life with you: "Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved". No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail."

I know my own extremely distinguished dog's little tail is wagging in agreement. 

12 comments:

Idaho PugRanch said...

So very beautiful!
hugs
Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

Anonymous said...

Pat--This brought tears to my eyes. (The words about Blemie REALLY did me in.) We lost our senior, Foley, on Saturday, so I'm welling up over Indy and Foley and even Blemie.

What a lovely urn, and fitting that Indy is still right at your side.

Anonymous said...

By the way, is that a new picture on your sidebar? You look maaahvelous! (You're getting younger looking! How did you work it out for that to happen?)

Linda said...

What a nice tribute to your sweet Indy.
The Box with his image is beautiful.
I agree he is wagging his tail and at peace.
xo Cinnamon

Tammy said...

What a touching memorial to your dear little Indy!

BECKY said...

Such a lovely post, Pat. I love the idea of having Indy's ashes near your bed. The wooden box is very nice, and the etching of Indy is just beautiful. Thank you for the recommendation....because unfortunately, I might be needing something like this fairly soon....although I pray that I won't. I'll send you an e-mail with more info in another day or so. Right now Vern is on some meds....

Two French Bulldogs said...

So nice. We have Benny's on moms dresser in the bedroom
Lily & Edward

Linda O'Connell said...

Aw, Pat that was lovely and so touching. Amazing what the lack of stress in retirement will do for you. Your new picture gorgeous; you look relaxed and young and happy.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

A beautiful post, Pat. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

That is a beautiful urn.

Arran, Arthur and Mum said...

Just reading through and catching up properly, I've missed a lot!
So sorry for your loss, you've chosen a really beautiful memorial and I hope it helps you heal and remember him fondly.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the poem too.

Unknown said...

Oh, Pat, you brought tears to my eyes with this lovely post. What a beautiful memorial to your Indy... and how cool is it that the company's owners' names are the names of your parents? Sounds like a definite sign to me.

I also love your new author picture. So gorgeous. Retirement is suiting you!