Critter Alley

Critter Alley

Sunday, November 27, 2011

More Thrills at Blueberry Hill

A few blogs ago, I started to describe an evening we spent at Blueberry Hill helping Mr. Chuck Berry celebrate his 85th birthday. If you didn't see it, here's a link to the post. 

Continuing the story, I walked through Blueberry Hill with eyes bigger than a harvest moon. If I had a dollar for every cool piece of memorobilia I saw that night, I could retire right now. 

After about an hour of exploring the place, Mr. Berry and his entourage finally arrived. They stepped into the restaurant and a full sized crowd broke into applause. So many cameras flashed, it felt like a red carpet premiere. My favorite sculptor, Don Wiegand (creator of the hand casts), gave an introductory speech. Note the strange camera angle. In order to get decent pictures, I had to knee-crawl to the front of the crowd. Luckily, the crowd did not object (well, not much anyway).






























Next, the owner of Blueberry Hill, Joe Edwards, spoke.



Then came the official unveiling. The display, set up in a glass case, looked fantastic. It seems as though Chuck Berry's hands are floating. How in the world did Don do that???

Pictured from left to right are the men of the hour: Don Wiegand, Chuck Berry, and Joe Edwards


For me, visiting Blueberry Hill was a treat in and of itself. Add to that helping to celebrate the achievements of someone who's had an amazing career in music and all I can say is...

Hail, hail, rock n' roll, and happy 85th birthday, Chuck Berry!


5 comments:

Two French Bulldogs said...

How exciting! Happee Birthday Mr. Berry
Benny & Lily

Chewy said...

Happy birthday Mr. Berry!

Chewy

Linda O'Connell said...

Wish I could have been there.

Lynn said...

The hands look cool. Sounds like you had a great time.

Lassiter Chase and Benjamin said...

The floating hands picture looks so neat by the guitar. Must be magic.